I get a lot of questions on mayo. Years ago, I remember I had no idea how mayo was made. When I learned how simple it was, I never bought a commercial jar again.
The beauty of making your own mayo is that you use a good quality oil. Commercial brands all use oils that are damaging to our health, like soybean oil or canola oil. Don’t be fooled by clever marketing: if a company boasts of olive oil, check the ingredient list. Often times, olive oil is not the only oil.
For this Quick Jar Mayo, I use avocado oil. It’s a healthy oil that our bodies recognize. I also use an immersion blender and a mason jar; it can’t get any easier. You could also make this mayo in a blender or a food processor but you will need to pour the oil in very slowly. That’s why I love this version so much: everything goes in the jar and blitz! Magic happens and delicious mayo gets made.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- 1 cup avocado oil
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1.5 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 pinch of pink Himalayan salt
- Put all the ingredients in the jar.
- Insert the blender end of an immersion blender and blend for one to two minutes.
- Refrigerate immediately.
- The mayo will thicken with time but if you still find it too thin, you can use 2 tsp of dijon mustard instead of 1.