Between my CSA box from Crescent Farm and my cow share from GrassFat Farm, I needed to combine the two and come up with recipes involving in-season sweet potatoes and those tougher cuts of beef. A long braised beef stew was in my near future. In like the next 6 hours.
I wanted a beef stew with a twist, and what better twist than adding some great Indian and/or south Asian spices. Garam Masala is a blend of black and white peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon, mace, cardamom, bay leaves, cumin and coriander. It’s warming in itself and it’s like a great hug in a beef stew. I hope you’ll try this recipe. If you do, please tag me! #cookingwithcarole
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- 2 lb of beef cubes (bite size), preferably from the inside or outside round, a cheaper and tougher cut
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 cup bone broth2-3 medium sweet potatoes1 lb carrots, cut on the diagonal in large pieces
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- If you’re using an Instant Pot, turn on the “Saute” function. Add the butter. Once the butter is melted and bubbly, brown the beef in small batches. If you’re using a regular slow cooker, you can brown the beef in a cast iron pan and transfer the meat into the cooker. If you’re feeling a bit lazy, you could by-pass the browning of the meat and dump all the ingredients in your preferred slow cooker appliance.
- Once the beef is browned, set aside. Add the onion and celery and saute for 3 minutes. (You might have to add a bit of butter).
- Add the garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the beef and all its juices back into the pot. Add the salt and pepper, all the spices and lemon zest and stir. Turn off the “Saute” function.
- Add the broth and stir to scrape all the good flavor bits stuck at the bottom.
- Add the sweet potatoes and carrots and mix well.
- Close the Instant Pot and turn on the “Slow Cooking” function and set for 6 hours.
- When the stew is ready, serve into bowl and garnish with the cilantro.